Friday, March 17, 2006

This Can't be That Hard...




I looked out the window and it looked like a great day to find another cache. So I grabbed my bag of trade items and headed out the door with my trusty GPS receiver in my hand. Today's goal was to find the cache named "LASER Brookpark" located at 41 degrees 24.563 minutes North by 081 degrees 48.197 minutes West in Brookpark Ohio. I was looking for a small glass jelly jar containing small trade items. And just like the other locations finding the general location was the easy part. I parked the car in a near by parking lot and headed into the woods. After walking around for about 10 minutes the GPS said I was with in one foot of the jelly jar. But the GPS was showing an accuracy of 15 feet, meaning that somewhere in a 30 foot circle I would find my prize. After looking under logs, down rabbit holes, in small over hangs by the creek I started to circle back and forth to get a better reading. I took off my hat and scratched my head, the GPS kept bringing me back to the same spot. It was getting dark and still no jelly jar. As I was getting stiff from walking around bent over to look under logs and rocks, I stood up and leaned back to stretch. And that's when I noticed that the tree in front of me had rotted off about 6 feet from ground level and looked odd. As I climbed up on a fallen log to look down inside I saw the small glass jelly jar covered in some old rotten tree wood. And in the jar were some US Flag pins and a log listing all the people that had found the jelly jar before me. I took out a flag pin and left a hat pin with trucks on it in it's place, then signed the log and put it all back in the jelly jar. I took a picture and placed the jar back in it's hiding place and covered it back up for the next person to find. I looked at my watch and realized I had been looking for about two hours. Gee time really does fly when your having fun!

No comments: