Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Peaceful Place to Visit






As vacation is drawing to a close, and the weather today is nice, but a bit nippy I decided to find another cache. I went to GeoCaching.com and selected my next cache for the day. I decided to find the cache named "Cache Cache". I grabbed my bag of trade items, entered the longitude and latitude into my trusty GPS Receiver, that I have named Maggie because it is made by Magellan and off I headed. The cache is located at 41 degrees, 26.927 minutes North by 081 degrees 48.789 minutes West and is a small black tube about 6 inches long. When I arrived I at the cache site I found that it was hidden in a evergreen tree located in the Alger Cemetery in Cleveland Ohio that was established in 1824. After I found the tube hanging back inside the tree about 5 feet up from the ground I signed the log and left a small hat pin in the tube, replaced the cache log and cap then hung the tube back inside the tree where I found it. I spent the next two hours reading the stories of the people buried there. I found many young children that died in the first 6 months of life in the 1907 to 1911 time frame. I found many war veterans from World War One and World War Two. I found entire families that went back for several generations. I have driven by on the main street located two city blocks away and never new that the cemetery was here. This turned out to be one of the best cache finds to date.

No comments: